I managed to complete everything on my list, with the exception of a new problem I found with the brake light. For some reason, it's not lighting up under braking. Since it's an LED light and both brakes aren't triggering it, it may be that there's a problem with the microswitch at the front brake lever, because the light is working otherwise.
Anyway, here's a list of all the issues rectified this weekend. Now that these are all done, I've dropped her off at good old ET James for an MOT so she can get back on the road soon.
- Replaced gearbox oil
- Fixed the side stand
- Removed hand guards
- Installed new grips
- Fixed the lights
- Found the electrical short and fixed it
- Serviced the electric start
- Charged the battery
- Replaced the gear lever
- Replaced the fork protector stickers
- Sorted out the rear mudguard fixings
- Strengthened the clutch perch
- Re-seated one of the fork seals
- Fixed a footpeg retaining clip
- Replaced the lower shock bearing
- Installed a new number plate
- Flushed the carburettor to stop a fuel leak
- Replaced the chain split link clip
- Installed a new set of rear brake pads
- Gave her a good wash!
Oh and one more thing - never, ever buy cheap ratchet straps. They are an investment, buy the good ones, otherwise it's very much a case of buy cheap, buy twice, and you may even have a damaged bike to contend with too. I was lucky this time; I got to the shop after a particularly bumpy trip up the A470 (it's being resurfaced) to find my bike firmly wedged across the bottom of the trailer, having gauged the wall with the throttle cable adjuster. Luckily no damage was done this time, but some new, heavy duty straps are on their way for next time.